If you own a beautiful Victorian period home then the chances are that you bought it because you loved the proportions of the building and the original features. When it comes to renovation work it is ideal to preserve and enhance as many of these features as possible to achieve the most aesthetically pleasing result and add value as well. Here are just a few ideas to think about:
- Windows and stained glass features. Try to keep the originals as far as possible, and if necessary employ a specialist to restore damaged sash mechanisms. Never replace original windows with uPVC!
- Roofline and slate tiles. Replace damaged or missing tiles with reclaimed slate tiles which can be sourced online, or match the colour as closely as possible if using new ones.
- Get the exterior walls right. Repair any damage to brickwork and pointing with the correct materials. This is not a time to cut corners as any changes here will really show up.
- Gardens and outside spaces. Victorian gardens are formal and well laid-out rather than haphazard. Steer clear of modern pots and features as they will clash with your house. Think about the material used for your driveway as well and compliment the overall look of your period property.
- A grand entrance. Get a proper solid wood front door in the right style. There is nothing worse than a white plastic door stuck in the middle of a beautiful entrance.
- Bathrooms and kitchens. Research these properly and visit reclamation yards for roll top baths, kitchen dressers and other items from the period. Think scrubbed pine and white!
- Interior architecture. Go for four-panel wooden doors, deep skirting boards and ornate plaster mouldings – ideally restoring the originals which remain in the house. Where possible restore or replace fireplaces with Victorian originals too.
Do your homework and get personally invested in the project to make the most of your Victorian dreams. You will probably find that the whole house becomes a favourite hobby!
Written by Charlotte, Charlotte is a writer who has undergone a massive home remodel and now loves to share her knowledge and experience. Since she has finished her home renovation she now spends her free time on posh bingo.